The Authors

Sunday, August 3, 2008

16. Why do you think people keep photograph albums?

Everybody has at least a photograph album, be it an album of the photos taken when they were babies or photos of their families or even friends. Even I keep photo albums; in fact I have a whole drawer-full of photo albums.
People keep photo albums for various reasons, one of which is for it to serve as a source of entertainment during their free time. Some people treat it as a hobby to just rummage through any one of their albums and have a good laugh at the hilarious and unglamorous photos taken of themselves or their close ones. To them, it’s a form of entertainment and relaxation technique.
Another reason for keeping photo albums is to ‘store’ all the memories of their past times and childhood. Time can never be reversed, therefore in order for people to remember those wonderful memories they have had; pictures are taken and ‘stored’ in the non-living book-like brain of theirs. Especially for people who have very poor memories, keeping photo albums is a perfect way for them to recall things. What more, pictures speak a thousand words, so wouldn’t it be better to keep a photo album to tell the stories rather than just through words in a diary?
I’m not a person who likes to take photos. I will only take photos when necessary like say for example during a special event or occasion. But when I was a kid, my parents always took pictures of me. Photos of me eating, dancing, cycling or just of me simply doing nothing. However it is amazing how all those photos can help a person reminisce on the past, not mentioning that the photos also bring in colours and laughter into a person’s life.
Sometimes, when I am feeling stressed out or have nothing better to do, I will just take some time to flip through the folders of the photo albums I have.
To me, the albums are like my story books. They are not stories written by others or stories about others; they are stories about my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home